Monday, March 12, 2012

Language Barriers

One good thing about studying abroad in Scotland is that I won't have to worry about learning a new language. However, American English, and more specifically Texan English, is very different than Scottish English.

Here are some basic examples:

  • jumper = sweater
  • biscuit = cookie
  • wellies = rain boots
  • chips = french fries
  • plaster = band aid
  • torch = flashlight
These aren't too hard to pick up on, but I am afraid that I'm going to say something with one intention and my friends are going to pick up on a very different meaning. Fortunately, one of my friends here is kindly compiling a list called "UK Dictionary, Idioms, and Other Stuff To Avoid." I think this will be very helpful, especially the "other stuff to avoid" part. I really like knowing what to avoid!

I was talking to my parents about this a couple of days ago, and apparently in Britain food is often referred to by its French name. I know almost no French, and I don't think the 4+ years of Spanish that I've taken will help me in this situation. So I guess I'll spend the first month having no idea what I am eating...Sounds like an adventure!

Finally, a new issue was brought up that I had never thought of before: spelling. Not only do Americans speak differently, we spell differently! I suppose I'll have to learn to insert u's into many of my words. I'm also wondering if I'll get points taken off of my papers for any spelling differences. Do professors even take points off for spelling in college? Let's hope not. 

So true.....
Also, anybody who is just dying to know the specific differences between American and British English in grammar, culture, vocab, and writing should visit the Wikipedia site, which is surprisingly extensive: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_differences

Oh, and shout out to all of my future Scottish friends who decide to read my past posts: I WILL NOT STOP SAYING YA'LL! :P

3 comments:

  1. This is amazing! Hopefully you'll survive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like coulors! That is the only English word I know that is spelled differently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few things:
    1. My friend is from Canada and she had the same problem, once she moved to the US, on spelling things differently. You'll be fine, though! Just don't be afraid to ask for help from your Scottish friends... haha

    2. Spanish and french are a lot alike. If you say something in spanish, they'll likely understand you.

    And... yeah. I'm gonna miss you when you go to Scotland D:

    ReplyDelete