Friday, March 9, 2012

Inspector Lewis

So, a couple of weeks ago, my mom got me into this British crime show called Inspector Lewis. It is a spin-off of Inspector Morse, which aired about fifteen years ago, and is based off of the Inspector Morse novels by Colin Dexter. It stars Kevin Whately as D.I. Robby Lewis and Laurence Fox as Sergeant James Hathaway. They live in Oxford and solve the various dramatic and mysterious crimes that happen in the town.



It's a really good show! The episodes are well written and complex, and the characters are likeable (Hathaway is my favorite!). It doesn't have the same action-packed plots that most crime shows have, but it's a very intellectual show. You really have to pay attention to what's going on. But I enjoy not being able to predict what is going to happen. It's interesting that it takes place in Oxford. Hathaway went to Cambridge, so there is an underlying rivalry always present.

But what also caught my attention is how they depict student life and classes at Oxford! Whenever they show scenes of lectures, it is always a small group of brilliant kids sitting around a fancy sitting room or coffee shop drinking tea and having an intellectual philosophical or historical discussion with their professor. How prestigious. I know this is stereotyped and probably exaggerated, but it has made me wonder what my classes at St. Andrews will be like. Somehow I don't think my classes will be quite like that. Though I like the idea of studying at some quaint little coffee shop in St. Andrews.

Anyway, I haven't had time to finish the series yet, but I plan on doing that soon! Each season has four 90 minute episodes, and there are four or five series. But, Spring Break starts today, so I'll actually have some free time! Yay Spring Break! Plus it is cold and rainy, so I think I am going to get a cup of tea and go watch more of my new favorite detective show.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds cool and I really want to watch it but I can't allow myself to get addicted to another tv show. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the same perdicament as Alexandra but that is what SUMMER IS FOR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to watch this now... but school is mean and wont let me! Icky homework!

    ReplyDelete